Tuesday, December 11, 2012

When We Leave- for my Portfolio


Every single goodbye
that leaves my lips 
is deadly 
and I know it 

There’s crying 
and then there’s dying 
and I’m pretty sure 
as I sit 
and drive her, sitting next to me 
to the airport 
once again 
that all these goodbyes kill her 

In the car she tries to be silent 
tries to wipe them away 
turns towards the window 
tries to hide
maybe I won’t know
but her talking fails 
and I just know 
I feel every single tear 
that runs down her face

She has a death grip 
on my hand, my wrist 
as though she’s trying to take 
all my strength 
the strength she thinks I have
and be strong enough to just 
stop crying, just stop crying  

Bright lights, cop cars, luggage 
greet us at the airport 
and it’s blinding 
the harsh light of reality 
it’s just so blinding 

I weave through the cars 
I don’t know what she wants 
slow, fast? 
which will hurt less? 
I drive in between 
uncertain, unsure, upset 
til we’re there 
and I have to pull up 

She climbs out 
she cries 
I sigh
she hugs me, halfheartedly 
anger folding into the deadly 
mixture her head had concocted 
men don’t cry 
but I know she wishes 
she wants to beat my chest 
til I cry too 
I know she wishes I would 
join her 

She walks away without looking back 
I want to call out goodbye 
I want to tell her I love her 
but I know she would never make it through 
security if I did 

I get back in my car 
I drive away 
at the same uncertain, unsure, upset pace 
that I rode in on 
defeated 
steeling myself 
for another round 

Of phone calls and letters 
and saying I miss you 
like we say I’m hungry 
and living my life 
having to quietly hurt 
and be as normal as possible 
even though I am simply
just a jagged shard of myself 
every single minute of every day 
that I have to hear her voice 
through a phone

I walk into my room 
and now here I am 
slouched by my window 
wondering which stars are planes 
and which plane is hers 
writing this poem 
leeching the unnerving images 
from my brain 
because I can’t talk to her until she lands 
and she wouldn’t let me say goodbye 

No comments:

Post a Comment